I had a great Father's day, thanks. I got an excellent pair of shoes, was allowed to sleep in, played some NCAA football and my mother-in-law was in town so we had a babysitter! The Wife was determined, no matter what, to see some movies which is how I found myself at a 10:30 PM show of Ocean's 13 Friday night.
I don't think it's fair to judge this movie since I dozed off in the middle so herewith are 13 Observations on Ocean's 13.
1. Has anyone noticed Matt Damon can do anything? He's great in comedies like this, great as Jason Bourne, great as the weaselly guy in The Departed. I think he's the best movie actor working today, much better than his one-trick pony co-stars, George Clooney and Brad Pitt.
2. Can we just stop messing with casinos? They're fun places that provide a public service. I think people should rob something else for a while.
3. Andy Garcia and Al Pacino were also both in Godfather 3 (the Ocean's 12 of the Godfather trilogy) about 17 years ago. Too bad they couldn't have done a scene with Scott Caan.
4. I always mix up Eddie Izzard and Ricky Gervais.
5. They didn't squeeze that Chinese Guy into anything and that was kind of a waste.
6. I saw the movie at the Cobble Hill Cinemas which was used in the filming of Spider-Man 3 renamed Stuyvesant Cinema.
7. Two movies filmed on my block are Moonstruck and Shamus.
8. Carl Reiner's first IMDB credit is from 1948.
9. Brad Pitt really doesn't do a lot in this movie. But as The Wife observed, he looks cool just holding a cup of coffee.
10. Norman Fell was in the original Ocean's 11 and I once saw him at a diner in Marina Del Rey. He shot me a nasty look.
11, 12. & 13. I really overextended myself with this list. Sorry.