Sunday, February 17, 2008

Introducing the Brett-Oskies!

The Academy Awards are looking a little empty to me this year since I've seen only a few of the films nominated (Juno, Ratatouille and Bourne, that's it). I'm hoping I can catch up on DVDs this week but I make that vow every year and I never live up to it. Instead I'm creating my own award, Brett's Oscars or the Brett-Oskies for short. I should do this for 2007 but I can't remember all the movies I saw last year so I'm just giving the Brett-Oskies to the best of the 11 movies I've seen so far this year, old, new, in theaters, on DVD, imagined in my mind, whatever. Today I'll just list the nominees, later I'll do little of the smart-ass commentary you love so much and then I'll award the winners. This year's ceremony will take place in a frigid cubicle on Park Avenue South or an overpriced two-bedroom in Brooklyn. Time will tell. Feel free to add your own opinions.

Best Picture
Juno
The Seventh Victim
Toy Story 2

Best Director
Mark Robson, The Seventh Victim
Sam Fuller, Park Row
Robert Stone, Oswald's Ghost

Best Actor
George Clooney, Michael Clayton (haven't seen this yet but will this week and I'm sure he'll be great in it)
Tom Hanks, Toy Story 2
Warner Oland, Charlie Chan in Paris

Best Actress
Joan Cusack, Toy Story 2
Jennifer Garner, Juno
Kim Hunter, The Seventh Victim

Best Supporting Actor
Micheal Cera, Juno
Keye Luke, Charlie Chan in Paris
Jason Bateman, Juno

Best Supporting Actress
Janeane Garafolo, Ratatouille
Allison Janney, Juno
Elizabeth Russell, The Seventh Victim

Best Documentary
Helvetica
Oswald's Ghost

Best Cinematography
3:10 to Yuma
Once

No comments: